Friday, July 2, 2010

Whatever-You've-Got Paninis



You know that thing your mom or grandmother used to do, where they'd take a bunch of random stuff out of the fridge, throw it in a pot, and call it soup? This is sort of the same idea. Use whatever veggies and bread you have on hand. I happened to have a loaf of rye that needed to be used, so I bought a couple other things and used some stuff I already had. This isn't so much a recipe as it is an idea for you to check out and make your own.

My ingredients:

Rye bread, sliced for sandwiches
Portobello mushrooms, cut into long slices
Red bell pepper, cut into long slices
Red onion, sliced thinly
Lightlife "Pepperoni"
Daiya soy mozzarella
Basil, dry
Oregano, dry
Light Italian dressing
Olive oil


I prefer to pre-cook my vegetables before putting them on the sandwich. I cooked the onion in olive oil until almost caramelized, then added the red pepper, and seasoned all of that with basil, oregano, and Italian dressing. I cooked the mushroom separately until all the water from the mushroom was released, then seasoned it with the same stuff.

Next, I coated the outside of the bread with olive oil, packed on all the veggies, plus pepperoni and daiya, and smashed it in a pre-heated panini press until dark golden brown.

Substitute whatever vegetables, spices, bread, or various other toppings you happen to have on hand, and you're set!

No comments:

Post a Comment