Monday, July 12, 2010

Curry Cashew Casserole


When I found this recipe in The Urban Vegan, I was under the assumption that it would be something quick and easy, since I'll be doing some heavy cooking for friends later this week. It was pretty quick and easy, but what I did not anticipate was how amazingly good it would be. It's filling, creamy, & flavorful. This casserole is the shit. That annoying thing omnivores say, "I don't even miss the meat!" They'll say it about this.

Ingredients

1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp cashew butter
1/2 cup rice milk (I used soy)
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped finely
2 tbsp red curry paste (The recipe actually calls for 1-2 tsp, but I liked it this way.)
1 head broccoli, chopped into 1-inch pieces
15 oz can diced tomatoes, including juice
15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt

Optional:
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 red or yellow pepper, sliced thinly
1 yellow squash, sliced thinly

I used the mushrooms and red pepper, not the squash. Do what works for you though.

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. In a bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, rice milk, and basil. The recipe says to add curry paste in small increments until you reach the desired heat, but I used more than the recipe called for and it wasn't hot. So I'm going to say use 2 tablespoons. Do it. You wanna. Mix all that together until there aren't any clumps left.

3. Toss the rest of the ingredients in and mix until combined and well coated.

4. Put it in a big casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for another 15 or so until the sauce is thick.

Serve with rice or some other grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment